Hi there. I’m Karol.
Let’s get this out of the way right quick: my name’s pronounced like Karl, not Carol. And while I’m at it my last name is like Guy-Duh not Gaadgdadada.
I’m 34, use a Colemak keyboard (after nearly 2 years I still haven’t reached my previous Qwerty typing speed of 90+wpm, though), and currently live in Poland (hopefully not for much longer) with my gorgeous wife.
I was born in Poland, my family escaped communism shortly before Martial Law was instituted in 1981 and I grew up in the USA’s Mitten, also known as Michigan.
I believe in honesty even if maybe it’s not always my best interests.
Here’s a more recent photo so if we meet up somewhere you don’t ask everybody to, “Stick out your tongue. Are you Karol?”:
7+ Ways I Will Boost My Ego or Otherwise Talk About Myself. You are bound & obligated by the letter of the law to read every single word:
1) Although it’s sadly still professional suicide to state publicly I don’t follow any gods (atheist, humanist, skeptic) and am an open supporter of the Establishment Clause of the Constitution (thanks for your help FFRF). Happy to chat about it. Small talk is boring. Let’s get into something interesting instead. We don’t have to agree.
2) I used to write at another blog which received over a million (1.2MM to be more precise) views in 2 years. I sold it for $XX,XXX after letting it lay dormant for nearly 2 years. (Sorry about those ads there now.)
3) I co-launched Only72.com which generated over $500,000 in revenue in its first 15 months. We also sent over $40,000 to charity. No longer involved there.
4) I co-founded OnlyIndie.com, the world’s first dynamically priced eBook store. Prices rose and fell based on demand. We had hundreds of customers, but didn’t get consistent traction. Fighting with Amazon’s threats to our authors became futile. Shut it down in November ’12. I still like Amazon and even own a bit of AMZN. No hard feelings.
5) During the Summer of 2011 I went on a Roller Coaster Tour which NPR, MSNBC, USA Today, Gadling and others wrote about. Then I blacked out – thrice (tried to downplay it in this article) – and cancelled the tour. I continued road tripping around the US (16,000+ miles total).
6) I like to travel and have been to ~30 countries and 45 of the United States.
7) I’ve been playing guitar since age 13 (here’s the one I hand built in India & video here). Kurt Cobain and Tony Iommi influenced me to pick it up. I also recently built a one string canjo (Video 1, Video 2) and have been participating in the homemade instrument movement.
8) I’m a beginning woodworker and I’m planning to begin building a tiny house on wheels or will be renovating a bus/box truck/van into an RV in 2016. That is if we can move to the US in time. It’s difficult building anything without proper tools in the stairwell of my flat so I’m looking forward to being in the land of maker spaces again.
4 more things I’ve hypnotized you into reading:
Blog Update Schedule: I post sometimes. And sometimes I don’t. The best way to learn about updates is via the e-mail list. Subscribe via the form at the top of this page. I usually send different e-mails than blog posts as well so if you want to go deep that’s how to do it.
Consulting: I’ve been doing marketing and marketing consulting since the year 2000. I rarely work on outside projects, but if you’ve got something fun and challenging (and your marketing budget is at least $XX,XXX/year) then I may be game. Get in touch.
Speaking at your event: Get in touch. I’ve spoken at events at Google’s offices in Wrocław, Poland and other startup/tech events in Wrocław. Happy to travel.
Interviews: If you have a well-trafficked website or podcast then I’m interested.