About Karol (err, About Me)
Let’s get this out of the way right quick: Name’s pronounced like Karl, not Carol. And while I’m at it, the last name is like Guy-Duh.
I’m 33 and have been working for myself since age 19. I use a Colemak keyboard and currently live in beautiful Wrocław, Poland.
I was born in Poland, my family escaped communism shortly before Martial Law was instituted in 1981 and I grew up in the USA’s Mitten, also known as Michigan.
My earliest memory is eating a Starburst (with wrapper intact) my late Babcia Stefania gave me outside of our Mt Pleasant, MI apartment at the age of 2. The wrapper was stuck. But a goal is a goal and I don’t let pesky little things like perceived constraints get in my way.
I believe in honesty even if maybe it’s not in my best interest. Some people can’t handle it. Other people appreciate it very much. The people who appreciate it become great friends. The people who don’t? They continue living lies, but I’m not sure if they’re living lives.
SMS me, maybe: (910) 22-SWEET
Here’s a more recent photo so if we meet up somewhere you don’t ask everybody to, “Stick out your tongue. Are you Karol?”:
7+ Ways I Will Boost My Ego or Otherwise Talk About Myself. You are bound & obligated by the letter of the law to read every single word:
1) I don’t eat animals (usually) and don’t follow any gods. Both of those points are up for discussion — as they should be — anytime.
2) I used to write at another blog which received over a million (1.2mil) views in about 2 years. I got rid of it. (Sorry about those ads there now.)
3) I co-launched Only72.com which generated over $500k in revenue in its first 15 months. We also sent over $40k to charity. No longer involved in this company, but it’s still going strong. Good times.
4) I co-founded OnlyIndie.com, the world’s first dynamically priced eBook store. Prices rose and fell based on demand. We had a few hundred customers, but didn’t get consistent traction. Fighting with Amazon’s threats to our author’s became futile. Shut down in November ’12.
5) During the Summer of 2011 I went on a Roller Coaster Tour which NPR, MSNBC, USA Today, Gadling and others wrote about. Then I blacked out – thrice (tried to downplay it in this article) – and cancelled the tour. I continued road tripping around the US (16,000+ miles total).
6) I’m a fan of touring (three 3-week rock tours under my belt), canoeing/camping trips, sandboarding, downhill Big Wheels races, upside down canyon swinging, paratrooper tossing, karaoke, shuttle launches, and seeing crazy things like flaming big rigs in the middle of Arizona.
7) I’ve been playing guitar since age 13 (here’s the one I hand built in India & video here). Kurt Cobain and Tony Iommi influenced me to pick it up. Every day in 2014 I’m writing/recording a new short piece of music and uploading it to Soundcloud (oops, stopped doing it after 90 days).
8) I’m designing/planning to build a tiny house on wheels (160ft² / 15m²) in 2015.
4 more things I’ve hypnotized you into reading:
Blog Update Schedule: I post sometimes. And sometimes I don’t. Subscribe above so you don’t miss it.
Speaking at your event: Get in touch. I’ve recently spoken at events at Google’s offices in Wrocław, Poland and presented at Tech Saturdays (also in Wrocław).
Interviews: Not right now.